Mededeling

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Position and Time at which Yura and Yugiri sank Taksang and Batavia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• Position and Time at which Yura and Yugiri sank Taksang and Batavia?

Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War says on p. 300 that on 6 April 1942 Yura and Yugiri sank the British merchant ship Taksang at 1045 and the Dutch Batavia at 1145 (JST). According to British Merchant Vessels Lost or Damaged by Enemy Action during the Second World War and other sources, Taksang sank at 17.52N, 83.40E. According to a snippet view from Moormans jaarboek voor scheepvaart en scheepsbouw (Moorman's yearbook for shipping and shipbuilding), Moorman Periodieke Pers., 1948, Batavia was sunk (attacked?) at 18.20N, 84.18E, which is about nautical miles southeast of Calingapatam. This is the only source I’ve found which gives coordinates for Batavia. All other source say that it was sunk 14 miles east of Calingapatam. My problem is that the distance between the positions where the two ships were reported sunk is 60 miles, and Yura and Yugiri are recorded as having sunk Batavia only an hour after sinking Taksang. This does not compute.

So, can anyone verify the time and/or position at which either Taksang or Batavia was sunk?

TIA,

Rob

On: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_cruiser_Yura

In April, Yura was assigned to the raids in the Indian Ocean under Vice Admiral Jisaburō Ozawa's Second Expeditionary Fleet. Yura, accompanied by the destroyersAyanami, Yugiri, Asagiri, and Shiokaze, depart Mergui and steamed into the Bay of Bengal with the cruisers Chōkai and Suzuya, Kumano, Mikuma and Mogami and the light carrier Ryūjō to attack Allied merchant shipping.

On 6 April 1942, 14 miles (23 km) east of Kalingapatnam in the Bay of Bengal, Yura and Yugiri sank the Dutch merchant vessel Batavia en route from Calcutta to Karachi. Yura and Yugiri also sank the Dutch motorship Banjoewangi and the British steamer Taksang.

Reactie

H@ns schreef Bekijk Berichten
      On: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_cruiser_Yura

In April, Yura was assigned to the raids in the Indian Ocean under Vice Admiral Jisaburō Ozawa's Second Expeditionary Fleet. Yura, accompanied by the destroyersAyanami, Yugiri, Asagiri, and Shiokaze, depart Mergui and steamed into the Bay of Bengal with the cruisers Chōkai and Suzuya, Kumano, Mikuma and Mogami and the light carrier Ryūjō to attack Allied merchant shipping.

On 6 April 1942, 14 miles (23 km) east of Kalingapatnam in the Bay of Bengal, Yura and Yugiri sank the Dutch merchant vessel Batavia en route from Calcutta to Karachi. Yura and Yugiri also sank the Dutch motorship Banjoewangi and the British steamer Taksang.
      Thanks for responding, but I already know all of this. (Kalingapatnam is simply the modern spelling of Calingapatam.) My question is much more specific.

Reactie

Taksang and Batavia.

Gents,

The position of the wreck SS Taksang is: 17 deg. 38 min. North. / 83 deg. 40 min. East.
        The position of the wreck MV Batavia is: 18 deg. 12 min. North / 84 deg. 21 min. East.

All figures are approximately, but as accurate as possible.
        Vriendelijke groet, Hans.

"Om de kracht van het anker te voelen moet men de storm trotseren". (Pas als je iets ernstig meemaakt, weet je op wie je kan vertrouwen).

Reactie

Taksang and Batavia.

SS Taksang and MV Batavia.

taksang_ss.jpgbatavia_1939.jpg

"Om de kracht van het anker te voelen moet men de storm trotseren". (Pas als je iets ernstig meemaakt, weet je op wie je kan vertrouwen).

Reactie

j.sprong schreef Bekijk Berichten
            Gents,

The position of the wreck SS Taksang is: 17 deg. 38 min. North. / 83 deg. 40 min. East.
            The position of the wreck MV Batavia is: 18 deg. 12 min. North / 84 deg. 21 min. East.

All figures are approximately, but as accurate as possible.
            Thanks you very much.

Could I ask what your source may be for this information?

Cheers,

Rob

Reactie

Taksang and Batavia.

Rob Stuart schreef Bekijk Berichten
              Thanks you very much.

Could I ask what your source may be for this information?

Cheers,

Rob
              Yes of course, forgotten, I am sorry.
              The bron is: www.wrecksite.eu

Below you will find a map of the "Bay of Bengal" and bring the cursor at the position of the ship (wreck) you are looking for and you will find the position ( North and East), written as above.

Reactie

Dutch ships lost on 6 April 1942 in the Bay of Bengal

Rob,
                A lot of info is already written by yourself and in coöperation with Willem Cool, in August 2011.

You can read it here:

HomeForum- Maritieme onderwerpen / Maritime topicsKoopvaardij / Merchant ShippingMerchant Marine Dutch ships lost on 6 April 1942 in the Bay of Bengal

Reactie

Hans, thanks very much for reminding me about www.wrecksite.eu. Silly me, I had looked at the entries on that site but had neglected to scroll down and check the positions given on the maps.

The position I gave in 2011 for Batavia,18.20N, 84.25E, was an estimate based on the statement that it sank 14 miles east of Calingapatam. I am currently writing an article for posting on the www.combinedfleet.com site and wanted to verify my information, and the position of 18 deg. 12 min. North / 84 deg. 21 min. East seems pretty plausible. It is indeed 14 miles from Calingapatam, albeit to the southeast rather than the east.

I think I've narrowed down my problem about the distance between Taksang and Batavia. Yura and Yugiri are reported to have sunk Banjoewangi at 0655 at 7.35N, 83.45E, i.e., before sinking Taksang. This position is 64 miles from the position given for Batavia. These positions would have to be only a little closer together, and/or a little further apart in time, for Yura and Yugiri to have made it from Banjoewangi's position to Batavia's without going at flank speed. So I think the problem must be with Taksang, which must have been sunk earlier than 0745 and/or further to the northeast.

Must run, I have a bus to catch.

Thanks again,

Rob

Reactie

Working...
                  X