Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information on the Aux minelayer Soemenep

Hi All,

I'm looking for information and possibly a picture of the auxillary minesweeper Soemenep. I'm very interested in the early war period in the pacific and the effort given by the Dutch Navy during that time period.

Re: Looking for information on the Aux minelayer Soemenep

No pictures unfortunately and only some tiny scraps of information.

Construction details: Name: Soemenep: Dockyard: Soerabaja Droogdok Maatschappij (Soerabaja) Dockyardnumber: 71: Laid down : Launched: 1930: Commissioned: 1931 (tugboat)

Under command of Lt RNLN T. Jellema, HNLMS Soemenep was scuttled on 2 March 1942 by her own crew near Surabaya after fleeing from Balikpapan through her own mine-fields to open sea in the face of having to surrender to the Japanese. The crew reached shore and was later made POW.
    "Try and leave this world a little better than you found it" [Baden Powell]
    "Verbeter de wereld, begin bij jezelf"... [algemeen]
    ..."maar stop daarna niet en help ook een ander op weg!" [Paul Joosten]
    https://duurzamehuizenroute.nl/wonin...s-1905-veendam

Reactie

Sleepboot Hr.Ms. Soemenep (1931-1953, in 1940 ingericht tot hulpmijnenlegger) door eigen bemanning tot zinken gebracht in Soerabaja op 2 maart 1942. Later door de Japanners gelicht en hersteld. Na de capitualtie van Japan teruggevonden en weer als sleepboot in dienst gesteld.
      --
      hr ms soemenep.jpeg

Reactie

Dear Scot,
        W.H.E.van Amstel quotes in his book "De schepen van de koninklijke marine vanaf 1945 (De Alk, Alkmaar 1991) the following:
        Displacement 480 tons
        Dimensions: 35,86 x 8,11 x 2,82 meters
        Triple expansion engines, 400 pk, Speed 10 knots
        Armament: 2 MGs 7.7mm
        Builder Droogdok Maatschappij Soerabaja 1940 (should be a mistake because there is a picture dated 05-03-1931 by G.J. de Boer, from Anmstelveen), as a tug for the firm Zoutregie ( tugging lighters full of seasalt).
        In 1941 ordered by the navy and rebuild als minelayer with a cacity of 26 mines . In service since 17.06.1941. On 02.03.1942 scuttled in Soerabaja by own complement. Recovered by the japanese. Found back at Tandjong Priok in 1945, repaired and back in service at Dienst voor de Scheepvaart (civil navy) as a tug. later taken over by the navy. In 1950 transferred to the Indonesian Navy.
        name sign: A 871 (Navy), RS 101.
        C.Mark in"Schepen van de Koninklijke Marine in WO II"(De Alk, Alkmaar 1997) quotes (only the differences): building date 1931(buildingnumber 71) Displacement 227 tons, complement 26. Armament: 2 x .50 MGs
        Minelaying tasks at the eastside of Borneo (Kalimantan).
        H.T.Lenton(Royal Netherlands Navy in the series Navies of the Second World War, Macdonald London 1967) quotes (only the differences): 227 tons . Dimensions 117 3/4 (pp) x 26 3/4 x 9 1/4 feet.
        One S.E.boiler, one shaft, reciprocating (VTE-cyl 12 3/8":20":33"x 22"stroke, whatever it may mean)N.H.P. 87= ....knots.
        Engined by Sisson (Gloucester).
        I hope that it will be a stimulus for your further research.
        G.Gildemacher

Reactie

Balikpapan City, Borneo January 25, 1942.
          Having secured oilfield at the Tarakan Island on January 12, 1942, Balikpapan with its rich oilfields and strategically important airfields, just south of Samarinda and north of Tanahgrogot, was the next target of the Japan's sweep southward in Dutch East Indies. The 56th Mixed Infantry Group, the Sakaguchi Detachment under the command of Major-General Shizuo Sakaguchi, was ordered to take Balikpapan with its oilfields, oil installations and airfields with as little damage as possible.
          The Dutch army in Balikpapan numbered approximately 1,100 under the command of KNIL Lieutenant Colonel C. van den Hoogenband. The city itself was protected by field, coastal, and anti-aircraft batteries. The entrance to the harbor was protected by a minefield laid by the minelayer ship, Soemenep, under Lt. T. Jellema command.
          On January 18, knowing the closing Japanese attack, van den Hoogenband gave the order to destroy the oilfields in Balikpapan and started to evacuate staff to Samarinda, northwest of Balikpapan. The destruction was, however, not severe. The only serious damage was done to tanks, pipes, and special quays in the harbor area.
          On January 22, 1942 Allied aerial reconnaissance spotted a convoy of fifteen transports carrying the 56th Infantry regiment and 2nd Kure Special Naval Landing Force (SNLF) bound for Balikpapan, an important oil field in southeastern Dutch Borneo. In the afternoon, 9 Dutch Martin Model 166 (B-10) bombers attacked the Japanese convoy. The transport ship Tatsugami Maru was damaged and Nana Maru sank. Near Balikpapan, the Dutch submarine K-XVIII under Lt. Cdr. van Well Groneveld, attacked and sank the another transport Tsuruga Maru and reportedly damaged the patrol boat P-37 by midnight.
          Despite the counterattack, on January 24, the Japanese unit had successfully landed approximately three miles southeast of Balikpapan airfield at around 20:00. The assault unit landed without meeting any enemy resistance and, by dawn, had occupied the airfield. The southward advance moved slowly as the bridges had been destroyed, and the unit did not reach the northern outskirts of Balikpapan City until the night of January 25. The Dutch garrison troops had been withdrawn to the interior of the Borneo mainland and the Japanese entered the city without a fight.

Reactie

Also see http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/Soemclass.htm
            http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl

Reactie

I want to thank you all for your posts. There was certainly a lot of great information of which I was not aware. Unfortunately I was not able to view the jpeg that putih1941 posted due to lack of proper authority. I'll have to check with the forum moderator to see what credentials I need to supply. I also will look into obtaining a copy of De schepen van de koninklijke marine vanaf 1945 (De Alk, Alkmaar 1991). I hoping it will at least provide me with a staring point with some of my other small dutch vessel pursuits.

Reactie

Ohhh! Interestingly after making my last post I was able to view the JPEG of the Soemenep posted by putih1941.

Thanks so much!

Reactie

Op een buitenlands forum is iemand op zoek naar de Japanese naam van SOEMENEP, gedurende haar tijd in bezit van de Japanners, weet dit iemand ?? Heb er verschillende boeken op nagekeken, echter kon niets vinden, misschien een van jullie ??

Reactie

Dag Jan,

Is hem dit soms, gelicht door de japanners en gebruikt als sleepboot.

P.S. Is al het e.e.a. hierboven vermeld zie ik achteraf.

Hr.Ms. Soemenep.

Bouwwerf : Droogdok Mij. te Soerabaja, 1931 (bnr.71)

afmetingen : 35,86 x 8,11 x 2,82 meter

waterverplaatsing : 227 ton

machinevermogen : 400 IPK

aantal schroeven : 1

maximum snelheid : 10 knopen

bemanning : 26 koppen

bewapening : 2 mitrailleurs van 12,7 mm

26 mijnen

naamsein : RS 101, A 871

De Soemenep werd oorspronkelijk gebouwd als sleepboot voor de Zoutregie in Kalianget. In 1940 werd het schip gevorderd en in Soerabaja verbouwd tot mijnenlegger en als zodanig door commandant LTZ 2 T. Jellema, op 17 juni 1941 in dienst gesteld. Bij Balikpapan, voor de kust van Oost-Borneo werden enkele mijnversperringen gelegd die door het schip onderhouden dienden te worden. Toen de Japanners Balikpapan innamen ontkwam de aangepaste sleepboot door haar eigen mijnenveld naar Soerabaja. Op 2 maart 1942 werd het schip door de eigen bemanning tot zinken gebracht in Soerabaja. De Japanse bezetter heeft het schip gelicht, gerepareerd en gebruikt als sleepboot.. Na de oorlog werd de sleepboot teruggevonden in Tandjong Priok en na herstelling in dienst gesteld als sleepboot onder naamsein RS 101 en later onder naamsein A 871. In augustus 1950 werd de sleepboot overgedragen aan de Indonesische marine.

soemenep.jpg
                    Vriendelijke groet, Hans.

"Om de kracht van het anker te voelen moet men de storm trotseren". (Pas als je iets ernstig meemaakt, weet je op wie je kan vertrouwen).

Reactie

Ja dit is de Sleepboot, ben echter op zoek naar de Japanse naam of nummer dat ze had in Japanse dienst !

Reactie

Ik ben er nog niet achter wat de naam in japanse dienst was.
                        Vond wel een plaatje hoe de stoommachine er ongeveer uit moet hebben gezien.

Bron: uboat.net

Boilers 1 SE boiler
                        Machinery 1 triple-expansion-engine by Sisson, Gloucester
                        Performance 400 hp

sisson.jpg

"Om de kracht van het anker te voelen moet men de storm trotseren". (Pas als je iets ernstig meemaakt, weet je op wie je kan vertrouwen).

Reactie

Hartelijk dank Hans voor de informatie zover, hoop dat de Japanese naam nog achterhaald kan worden.

Reactie

Jan Dohmen schreef Bekijk Berichten
                            hoop dat de Japanese naam nog achterhaald kan worden.
                            Hallo Jan, ik denk inmiddels dat dit heel moeilijk gaat worden, misschien zelfs onmogelijk.
                            Mag ik een (misschien onbescheiden) vraag stellen, waar juist de interesse in de naam of nummer in Japanse dienst vandaaan komt, of heeft e.e.a te maken met bericht #9

Reactie

Hallo Hans,

Goed geraden, ik zelf ben namelijk zeer geinteresseerd in the Keizerlijke Japanse vloot van de begintijd, ca 1865 tot nu de JMSDF vloot, zie hier mijn modellen tot nu:
                              http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall...ser-index.html
                              Ik ben ook lid van een forum over de Japanse Marine, vandaar mijn vraag die daar gesteld werd.

Reactie

Working...
                              X