Jan Carel VAN PAPPELENDAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan Carel VAN PAPPELENDAM

I am a postal historian and I have a folded typwewriter postcard from Switzerland in 1942 addressed to:

Herrn Jan Carel VAN PAPPELENDAM
    Fregatten-Kapitan Ingenieur
    Gefangenummer 30 849
    Stalag 371
    Stanislau - Galizien
    General Gouvernement

Could this be the J.C. Pappelendam that I believe had something to do with Schnorkels. I understand that Gulag 371 was a camp for Dutch military (? officers). Any and all information welcome.

Unfortunately, I only speak English.

Robert Bell

Re: Jan Carel VAN PAPPELENDAM

Yes sire .

Commander (Engineering) J. C. van Pappelendam, who as a Lieutenant Commander of the Dutch Submarine Service .

Two Dutch Naval Officers J. J. Wichers en J.C. van Pappelendam .

The Dutch officers had been working on a device that they had named the snuiver (lit: "sniffer")at 1935. The Dutch navy had been experimenting as early as 1938 with a simple pipe system on the submarines O-19 and O-20 that enabled them to travel at periscope depth operating on its diesels with almost unlimited underwater range while charging the propulsion batteries.

There was a (only Dutch Officers) prisoner-of-war camp ,stammlager 371.or gulag 371

I wonder if it is actually possible to get a scan of this postcard

Hope all that help.

Best wishes and Folkert

ps Just try to find any pictures
    --
    de_stalag-371_nd.jpg

oosteuropa 1942 stammlager 371.jpg

Reactie

Thanks,

Dear Folkert,

That is great. Appreciate the good information.

So the title Fregatten-Kapitan Ingenieur on the card and Commander Engineering (Commander of the Dutch Submarine Service) are compatible? I would not want to attribute something to someone if they were different people!

So would it be fair to say that J.C. Pappelendam was a contributor to the invention of the Schnorkel?

Did Pappelendam survive the war? Perhaps he was one of the escapees from Stalag 371?!

Here is an attachment of the card I have. You will see It is Stalag 371 in Stanislau (now Ivano-Frankivs'k).

Will have this image in a book I am writing titled Folded Typwewriter Postcards!

Thanks again.

Rob Bell
      --
      Book 44 Gulag 371 Ukraine.jpg

Reactie

Stalag was a term used for prisoner-of-war camps. Stalag is an abbreviation for "Stammlager", itself a short form of the full name "Mannschaftsstamm und -straflager the poststamp of this lager seems te be the same

01-05- 1942 Langwasser bij Neurenberg Kgf. Offizier-Lager XIII B, Teillager z.b. V till 1 and 2 Aug 1942 on transport by train > 01/02 -08-1942 Stalag 371 Stanislau polski till 1944 >> General transports war prisoners >> ?? Neubrandenburg (Oflag 67) > ?? Tittmoning Salzach near Salzburg.>?? Neubrandenburg >>?? Tittmoning on 5 mei 1945 by US Troops

and return by railway to the Netherlands (Holland ).

Escape
        Rob, I can't answer your question until I read this book before, There is a list on this book but only in Dutch .

Titel: De zak met vlooien : Oflag 67, M Stalag 371 : ontvluchtingen van Nederlandse officieren uit krijgsgevangenschap, 1942-1945 / G. van Amstel
        Auteur: G. van Amstel, Jaar: 1974 , Uitgever: Blaricum : Bigot & Van Rossum
        --
        De_zak_met_vlooien.jpg

Stalag 371 briefkarte.jpg

de_stalag-371_1942-08-26.jpg

de_stalag-371_1943-02-23.jpg

Reactie

Thanks again Folkert,

The cards being about months apart would fit with the cancel being the same. Appreciate seeing the images from the same camp.

But you feel very/pretty sure that this is the Pappelendam of Schnorkel fame.

I do not have his name in the book at the moment and would like to say something like, his work before WWII was contributory tot he development of the Schnorkel -- would that be correct? Feel free to suggest something appropriate.

Will be going to press in the next 2 - 3 days!

Rob Bell

Reactie

But you feel very/pretty sure that this is the Pappelendam of Schnorkel fame.

I do not have his name in the book at the moment and would like to say something like, his work before WWII was contributory tot he development of the Schnorkel -- would that be correct? Feel free to suggest something appropriate.
            Seems and Feels good but not 100 % sure .
            --
            Stanislau Camp Stalag 371 Dutch prisoner of war.jpg

stanislau stalag 371 .2006.jpg

stanislau stalag 371.jpg

Reactie

So should probably leave him out of the book to be safe.

However, if you have any more information and we could confirm that we are talking about the same person I could included it in my exhibit to be shown in Bucharest in June.

Would like to thank you for the quick response and all the information.

I amazed with how complex, organized, and helpful, the Dutch Fleet site is.

Isn't the Internet amazing. I recently hears that it is going to need a massive infusion of money to update equipment if it is to survive and keep pace with growth.

Rob Bell

Reactie

Ill Try to call this lady tomorrow .....

Groepsfoto vanuit Stanislau van december 1942.
                Officers Dutch Navy Stalag 371 dec 1942

Staande van links naar rechts:
                Raland (Majoor vlieger)
                Versluys (Luitenant ter Zee 1e klas O.C.)
                Scholte (Kapitein luitenant ter Zee)
                Goedewagen (?) (Majoor der artillerie)
                d' Engelbronnen (Luitenant ter Zee 1e klas O.C.)
                Franken (Officier der administratie 1e klas O.C.)

Zittend
                Fey (Kapitein Luit. tit. der M.S.D.)
                Koppen (Majoor der Luchtvaart)
                Tinga (Officier der administratie 1e klas O.C.)
                --
                G.L. van Pappelendam-Freudenberg.txt (182 B) Stanislau Camp Stalag 371 Dutch prisoner of war officers.jpg

Reactie

So should probably leave him out of the book to be safe
                  I.m sure this will be the person for 99 %

Jan Carel VAN PAPPELENDAM
                  No else founded this has to be and by name the right person. he's the same person

So would it be fair to say that J.C. Pappelendam was a contributor to the invention of the Schnorkel
                  yes

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Who knows the person (Navy officer on the front left ) and name ???

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Did Pappelendam survive the war? Perhaps he was one of the escapees from Stalag 371?!
                  I,m sorry no idee .thats the missing point.

Dutch submarine O20
                  Mevrouw van Pappelendam- Dewitte, verrichtte de doopplechtigheid. Links van haar de commandant van Zeeland, schout bij nacht H.J. van der Stad en schout bij nacht L.A.C.M. Doorman

Wie wil the missende info nog even toevoegen betreffende

LTZ Jan Carel VAN PAPPELENDAM Ingenieurs bureau Koninklijke Marine den Haag

Naamboek officieren , Info betreffende zijn aandeel in het snorkel verhaal en eventuele plaatsing en terug komt uit de stalag 371 , foto

(Info wanted in Dutch or English )

Tomorrow the wil find his name on the Dutch navy officers name book

--
                  Stanislau Camp Stalag 371 Dutch prisoner of war.jpg

terwaterlating en doop 020 .1940.001.jpg

terwaterlating en doop 020 .1940.002.jpg

terwaterlating en doop 020 .1940.003.jpg

Reactie

"RMSB" wrote: So the title Fregatten-Kapitan Ingenieur on the card and Commander Engineering (Commander of the Dutch Submarine Service) are compatible?
                    I believe they are. Today within NATO we have a full list of ranks from all member nations (well, this copy doesn't include the latest member nations yet...) and you can see for yourself in this file:

The present-day Dutch equivalent for this rank is Kapitein Luitenant ter Zee van de Technische Dienst. Around WWII his rank would have been Hoofdofficier Marine Stoomvaart Dienst der Tweede Klasse.
                    --
                    (193.6 KB)
                    Bijgevoegde Bestanden
                    "Try and leave this world a little better than you found it" [Baden Powell]
                    "Verbeter de wereld, begin bij jezelf"... [algemeen]
                    ..."maar stop daarna niet en help ook een ander op weg!" [Paul Joosten]
                    https://duurzamehuizenroute.nl/wonin...s-1905-veendam

Reactie

Tijdens mijn VVO 1978 op MKERF, liep er een divisiechef rond met de naam van Pappelendam. Familie misschien

Groeten, Jan van den Bogert
                      SINE PROTECTIONE NULLA SECURITAS

Wapenspreuk van Hr.Ms. patrouilleschip Hefring

Reactie

I could not read Jan van den Bogert's post.

Could someone translate for me.

I have made a mention in the book.

Many thanks.

Rob Bell

Reactie

I could not read Jan van den Bogert's post.
                          Could someone translate for me.
                          "Jan van den Bogert Tpmkr" wrote: Tijdens mijn VVO 1978 op MKERF, liep er een divisiechef rond met de naam van Pappelendam. Familie misschien

Groeten, Jan van den Bogert
                          Jan Wrote:

During my continued (Naval) education in 1978 at the Erfprins Naval Barracks, there was somebody stationed there as well with the same Pallelendam last name. Family maybe
                          Pim van Wijngaarden

Reactie

Jan mentioned another van Pappelendam who might be related to Jan Carel. This person J.H. van Pappelendam was born in 1931 and was a Warrant Officer around 1978 when both Jan and me had him as our "divisiechef" at Naval Barracks Erfprins. He had come up through the ranks as a WEMNT (Weapon Electronics Engineer).
                            "Try and leave this world a little better than you found it" [Baden Powell]
                            "Verbeter de wereld, begin bij jezelf"... [algemeen]
                            ..."maar stop daarna niet en help ook een ander op weg!" [Paul Joosten]
                            https://duurzamehuizenroute.nl/wonin...s-1905-veendam

Reactie

Jan Carel van Pappelendam (ON.5)(OHK).
                              Geboren te Utrecht 25 oktober 1888, overleden 's Gravenhage 25 maart 1976.
                              Adj.mach. 16-08-1908; off.mach 3e kl. 16-08-1917; 2e kl. 22-12-1920; off.smd 2e kl. 5 april 1923; ho.msd 2e kl. 1 sept. 1939; 1e kl. tit. 1 jan 1947; pensioen 1 jan. 1947. MVG G.Horneman.
                              In time of War, but not before,
                              God and the Sailor we adore ashore.
                              Buth when War is over and Peace remitted,
                              God is forgotten and the Sailor quited.

Reactie

Working...
                              X