Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• Stonewall
    replied
    "todg" wrote: Stonewall: as a Portuguese what do you think the most likely name is for those 2 M-frigates?? And is it right to assume that the hull number will follow on to the Vasco Da Gama's??? That will be F333 for the Van Nes then, which is almost the same number as it has now (F833).
    Names for Frigates are usually from Great Discovers (ex. Vasco da Gama Class) or High Officers of the Navy (Ex. Almirante Pereira da Silva class, named after Admirals and Comandante João Belo Class, named after Navy Commanders), so I expect one of both variants will be used.

As for Pennants:

the PN has allocated for it's warships the following sequences of NATO Pennant numbers:
    from F-470 until F-489
    from F-330 until F-336 (at least)
    F-330,331 and 332 are the Vasco da Gamas, so a logical sequence could be F333 and F334

But there are also 2 pennants that are not used for a long time, F478 and F479, so I honestly do not know

More recent numbers are/were (in increasing order)

Frigates Pereira da Silva class: F472, 473,474
    João Coutinho Corvettes: F475,476,477,484,485, 471
    João Belo Frigates: F480,481,482,483
    Baptista de Andrade Corvettes: F486,487,488,489

When the Vasco da Gama arrived the sequence was therefore changed back to F33x

So I really do not know, maybe will only know when I see the pennant painted on the hull

Leave a comment:

• Rich
    replied
    Paul, both ships will not be decommissioned before the day of the transfer. Just like the Karel Doorman and the Willem van der Zaan they will remain commissioned untill that day.

The van Nes will arrive in Den Helder on friday 14th december.

As it looks now, according to the planning and wishes of the Portuguese navy, the transfer will take place at the end of november 2008 instead of in december. Personally I think that will prove to be a very tough date to meet with the extra work (modifications) that is requested by the Portuguese navy.

Leave a comment:

• todg
    replied
    Stonewall: as a Portuguese what do you think the most likely name is for those 2 M-frigates?? And is it right to assume that the hull number will follow on to the Vasco Da Gama's??? That will be F333 for the Van Nes then, which is almost the same number as it has now (F833).

Leave a comment:

• Folkert
    replied
    Van Nes en Van Galen. Beide fregatten worden op resp. 1 december 2008 en 1 november 2009 aan Portugal overgedragen. maar in welke volgorde ?? De nieuwe namen zijn nog niet bekend

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall
    replied
    Thanks Paul!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Joosten
    replied
    HNLMS Van Nes has finished her stint in the West Indies and is on her way back home. She will arrive shortly, to be decommisioned and start het maintenance period. Late 2008 she will be transferred to the Portuguese Navy.

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall
    replied
    Hi Rich

I did not heard anything until today, the last time I asked I got the info the names were not yet choosen.

Problem is that the PN operates in big secrecy, so for anything to come out is really dificult

Btw
    Do you know when will the Van Nes arrive in Den Helder to start preparations?

Leave a comment:

• Rich
    started a topic Names of Portuguese M-frigates?

Names of Portuguese M-frigates?

Can any of the Portuguese forum-members tell us if the Portuguese navy has published the names for the M-frigates they bought?
    Today I heard the name for the first one (van Nes), but I wouldn't like to spoil anything by stating it here. That would be the privilege of the Portuguese navy and/or government, I guess.
Working...
X