Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo......general interest

Greetings all! :D

The following is a picture taken during one of my grandfathers tours to the Dutch East Indies, the back of the photo has written: 1935, Bali. written on it.

My grandfather stands second from the left, you can see his Telegraphist Insignia on his Right Sleeve.
    I am wondering what exactly is he and the Sailor to his Right wearing over their shoulders?
    It seems to be some type of bag, was this part of Uniform? What would they of carried in these bags?
    Also, would the Sailor in the centre of the picture be an Officer?
    Is anyone able to tell me his rank?

Thankyou,
    Matt.
    --
    Pop.jpg

It looks like the chap in the middle would be a reserve officer in training (ARO). They would wear officer uniforms but have the rank of NCO. Had he been a ommissioned officer, he would never have allowed himself to be photographed in this fashion, as no enlisted man is allowed to hang on the elbow of an officer either. I cannot place the collar insgnia directly, as I do not think they had those in the Dutch Navy. The striped sailor shirt also looks out of place.

You are sure it is not a merchant marine group here. They had similar uniforms as the navy but different rules. Maybe the officer chap could be a merchant marine cadet orso.

Reactie

Photo...

Matt,

The 2 persons on the left have their photocamera in the "bag". This type of camera produces
      negatives of 6x6 or 9x6 cm. We call it a "klapcamera".

I think the person in the middle is a Marine!..Greetings,

Rob B

Reactie

"manders" wrote: It looks like the chap in the middle would be a reserve officer in training (ARO).
        Never heard of ARO's before WWII

Leon.
        Daily flogging will continue until the crew's morale improves...!

Reactie

"manders" wrote: It looks like the chap in the middle would be a reserve officer in training (ARO). They would wear officer uniforms but have the rank of NCO. Had he been a ommissioned officer, he would never have allowed himself to be photographed in this fashion, as no enlisted man is allowed to hang on the elbow of an officer either. I cannot place the collar insgnia directly, as I do not think they had those in the Dutch Navy. The striped sailor shirt also looks out of place.

You are sure it is not a merchant marine group here. They had similar uniforms as the navy but different rules. Maybe the officer chap could be a merchant marine cadet orso.
          Thankyou for your replys! :D
          My grandfather Enlisted with the Koninklijke Marine in 1930, i have quite a few photo's of him in uniform with the afore mentioned "striped shirt".
          He was DEFINATLEY Koninklijke Marine, i have obtained his full Naval Records from the Dutch Navy.
          During this tour to the Dutch East Indies he sailed on Hr.Ms. Banckert.
          On returning to the Netherlands, he was promoted to Corporal Telegraph Operator, joined the submarine service, sailed on the Hr.Ms. O-15, O-16, K.IX, K.X, until his capture during the battle of the Java Sea.

Although i do not know any better...........i am assuming the gentleman in the centre of the picture is Koninklijke Marine.

Thank you for your replys!! :D

Reactie

Pictures

Hi Matt,

Please allow me to ask you something else: does your grandfather's photo collection include any pictures of the guns of Banckert or the O-class subs? I am collecting these from those specific vessels for research purposes...

Reactie

ARO's

Leon,

Long before WW II there was both in the Netherlands and NEI a short course for Officers of the
              Naval Reserve, mostly merchant navy officers, and in NEI also for the officers of the Gouverne-
              ments Marine.

Greetings,

Rob B

Reactie

Re: Pictures

"nuyt" wrote: Hi Matt,

Please allow me to ask you something else: does your grandfather's photo collection include any pictures of the guns of Banckert or the O-class subs? I am collecting these from those specific vessels for research purposes...

Kind regards,
                Nuyt
                Greetings Nuyt,
                The Photo's and information i have of any of the Ships, Submarines in which he served on before, and during WWII have been graciously given to me by Jan Visser at: http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl , and Bram, from this site, and at: http://www.dutchsubmarines.com.
                Folkert, from this site has also been a source of photo's for me.

Rob B, Thankyou for your reply concerning the "klapcamera" :D

Reactie

thanks

Thanks Matt,

Yep, I know these excellent sites!

Kind regards,
                  Nuyt

Reactie

Marine

Matt,
                    As stated above, the gentleman in the middle surely is a Dutch Marine in tropical dress.
                    Compare the uniform and the dark peaked cap with this picture (but keep your eyes away from his shoes ):

Greetings,
                    Nuyt
                    --
                    marinemotor3.jpg

Reactie

Nuyt,
                      Yes, their boots let them down a bit!!
                      Maybee they were eager to get off of the ship and go to the pub?

Than you! :D

Matt.

Reactie

Okay, im convinced, it was a marine there in the middle. I couldnt believe really that it would have been an officer due to the familiarity of the other chap. Never saw the peaked black hat before, I always thought that marine wore straw hats in the tropics. Learned something new

Reactie

Kijk wat ik op deze link heb gevonden onder mysteries

http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/

Volgens mij staan die 4 ook op die groepsfoto of ik moet achterlijk worden.

Reactie

Greetings all

I mean no offence whatsoever, but i am still not convinced.
                            I notice the Officers/Sailors in the middle of the pictures hat, it to me looks like it is soft like a Beret rather than the "stiffness" of a peaked Hat or Officers Hat, (as in the other pictures on this subject).

Here is a picture of my grandfather at the age of 17 when he first joined the Koninklijke Marine.....
                            **NOTE HIS HAT**
                            I am wondering if the Officer/Sailor in the picture is holding this type of hat

Cornelis[1].jpg

Just to add some more fuel to the fire, here is a picture taken in 1946 in Melbourne, Australia, after my grandfather recovered in Manilla Base Hospital from Fukuoka #17 POW Camp in Japan, once again a different hat!

Popaust[1].jpg

Have a good day!! :D

Matt.

Reactie

Hi Matt,
                              My grandfather (in black). Look at his cap.

Reactie

Working...
                              X