LCFs for the UAE in the 1990's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• LCFs for the UAE in the 1990's

While researching APAR's development history I've found out that the UAE was asked to join the program in May 1996, with an option of buying up to six LCFs.

In fact there was a project called LEWA-something in the late 1990's, which might be related to upgrading ex-Dutch Navy S-frigates for the UAE, possibly with SMART-L and APAR. Does anybody know anything about the proposal to the UAE?

Cheers,
    Sunho

Sunho,
    I think you are mixing up things:
    - It could be, that there was an LCF proposal to UAE (no sources found), but a Navy without a maritime tradition can not make the jump from patrol craft to a destroyer size of ship, so
    - RNLN supported UAE with extensive training and 2 S-frigates
    - Upgrade discussions seems to be there, like with the Hellenic navy (upgrade now in implementation)

I have a promotion CD from Thales, from around 2001, that has pictures on it of a study of a S-frigate update for UAE.
    The phased array is a SEAPAR (baby APAR for ESSM range) plus a SMART-L, plus a SMART-S (was the oil price that high at that moment ??). So still a dual band surveillance radar concept like on the original S-freg. With SEAPAR for ESSM guidance and Mk48 added, like on the M-freg, for dual canister ESSM.

Made a screenshot from it:

A nice neverwhere to me.
    --
    UAE_up.png
    Have a nice trip
    7seas

Reactie

Thanks a million for the screenshot.

The source of 'up to six LCFs to the UAE' is the Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapons Systems 1997-1998 by Norman Friedman. Jane's http://images.janes.com/regional_news/a ... 01_n.shtml also reported that

"The navy, whose share of this program is around US$2 billion, has plans to acquire advanced missile frigates, although in 1999 it withdrew interest in buying two Type-22 frigates from the UK's Defence Export Services Organisation, apparently because of a shortage of personnel to operate the 148m vessels, each carrying a crew of 270. The acquisition of two Royal Netherlands Navy Kortenaer-class frigates in 1997 was seen as an interim step towards acquiring the expertise for more advanced vessels. The first phase of the LEWA III program for 12 fast attack craft was expected to get under way during the 2000-2005 budget plan. Other major naval programs include: LIWA 1 for six to eight ocean-capable patrol vessels valued at more than US$1 billion; LIWA 2 for six to eight corvettes worth US$1 billion; and LIWA 4 for six mine countermeasures vessels."

Perhaps the LIWA 1 might be the program to which LCF or scaled-down LCF designs were proposed. Or Friedman mixed up something. By the way I do remember seeing an artist impression of an imaginary UAE frigate with a fixed phased array radar on the Internet back in the late 1990's. Too bad I didn't save the image at that time.

Kind regards,
      Sunho

Reactie

Here's a 1998 news article about LIWA-1.

http://www.uaeinteract.com/news/viewnew ... 980316.htm

WESTERN SHIPYARDS HOPE FOR LIWA 1 LISTING

Western shipyards are hoping that a presentation by the UAE Navy, scheduled for later today, to Armed Forces Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan could lead to an announcement of a shortlisting for the Liwa-1 contract for six ocean-capable patrol boats.

"The Navy has said it will try to make some announcement," said a Western defence company official, who asked not to be named. Another official said the Chief of Staff would be briefed on technical and commercial bids submitted by Western shipyards for both Liwa 1 and the Liwa 2 contract for corvettes.

Both agreed that the evaluation process for Liwa 1 had progressed sufficiently for the UAE to shortlist preferred suppliers. It was initially put out to tender in 1996, eliciting responses from Britain's Vosper Thornycroft, France's DCN International and CMN, the Dutch Marine Consortium, Germany's Lurssen Werft and Newport News of the US.

The tender was re-issued twice to accommodate the UAE's specific requirements, with the last set of bids being received in late October. Bids for the Liwa 2 contract for up to six corvettes, or small frigates, were submitted in early February by the German firms Lurssen Werft and Blohm & Voss, DCN International, Vosper Thornycroft, the Dutch Marine Consortium and Newport News.

The UAE is also evaluating bids submitted in December for the Das contract for an unspecified number of mine countermeasure vessels, which were received on December 10. The bidders were Kvaerner Mondal of Norway, Sweden's Karlskrona, a joint venture of Germany's Lurssen Werft and Abeking & Rasmussen, DCN International, Italy's Intermarine, the Australian Submarine Company and Vosper Thornycroft. (The Emirates News)

Kind regards,
        Sunho

Reactie

Working...
        X