s.s. Westerland evacuation KM May 1940

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• s.s. Westerland evacuation KM May 1940

I am interested in learning more about the Dutch merchant ship s.s. Westerland which evacuated 390 Koninklijke Marine personnel to the United Kingdom in May 1940. Can anyone tell me from what port she sailed, where she arrived, and if the KM personnel on board were from particular bases or disabled ships? Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide any information about this ship's role in saving large numbers of KM personnel!

Mark C. Jones

Hi Mark.

Is the name Westerland well, should not this be Westernland
    Vriendelijke groet, Hans.

"Om de kracht van het anker te voelen moet men de storm trotseren". (Pas als je iets ernstig meemaakt, weet je op wie je kan vertrouwen).

Reactie

Hello Hans,

The name is shown as Westerland without the letter 'n' in an official KM document. The spelling looked odd to me.

Mark

Reactie

Mark C. Jones schreef Bekijk Berichten
        Hello Hans,

The name is shown as Westerland without the letter 'n' in an official KM document. The spelling looked odd to me.

Mark
        Hello Mark,

Do you have more available info from the document to search
        Last edited by j.sprong; 26th October 2017, 18:18.

"Om de kracht van het anker te voelen moet men de storm trotseren". (Pas als je iets ernstig meemaakt, weet je op wie je kan vertrouwen).

Reactie

I found this https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...305957/page-76 (look at post 1516), it mentions westerland.
          Never heard of this ship before but maybe it helps.

Reactie

Mark C. Jones schreef Bekijk Berichten
            I am interested in learning more about the Dutch merchant ship s.s. Westerland which evacuated 390 Koninklijke Marine personnel to the United Kingdom in May 1940.

Mark C. Jones
            The only link I can find is about this ship, and probably with the escape 390 men navy-personnel took with her to England. (so far disappointing to me)

Regina postcard.jpg

She was eventually sold to Bernstein Red Star Line in 1935, and later sold again to Holland America in 1939. Still named Westernland, she escaped to England when Germany invaded Holland in 1940 and served as the home of the Dutch Government in Exile at Falmouth, England.

Reactie

Thank you for this detail. At least we now know the proper spelling of the ship's name. The original source was a massive document collection at the Netherlands national archives. The Netherlands Institute for Military History (NIMH) took an unpublished study of the RNLN written in the late 1950s and early 1960s and converted it to digital images. The unofficial name for this series is Marine Monografie, the more formal name translated into English would be The Royal Netherlands Navy in World War II. There are four volumes corresponding to operational theaters (Holland, Western Europe, Netherlands East Indies, the Caribbean). Volume 1 concerns the Netherlands in May 1940. One of the later chapters in this volume covers evacuation from the Netherlands, and this is where the ship was first mentioned. Then the very last appendix in volume 1 showed the number of crew members on each warship that escaped to the UK. This same table also indicated the number of RNLN personnel who made it to the UK on merchant ships or as passengers on Dutch warships. This is where the 390 man figure on Westernland comes from.

This four volume series is an amazing resource for anyone interested in the RNLN 1939-46. Except for scattered passages, often quotations from books published in English, the series is in the Dutch language as would be expected. But for anyone with a basic ability to read the Dutch language, it is an enormously useful resource! Here is the link:

https://www.archieven.nl/nl/zoeken?m...ew=inv2#inv3t1

Mark C. Jones

Reactie

j.sprong schreef Bekijk Berichten
                Hi Mark.

Is the name Westerland well, should not this be Westernland
                In the list of "de Stichting Maritiem-Historische Databank (Marhisdata)", the name Westerland does not exist, contrary to Westernland.

Reactie

Working...
                X