Translation help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation help please

Would one of the Dutch speakers kindly translate the attached for me please.

I was told by the chap that sent me the photo that he thought it had something to do with a rangefinder or a director (but of course he may have been wrong.) Would that make any sense?

KevinD schreef Bekijk Berichten
    Would one of the Dutch speakers kindly translate the attached for me please.

I was told by the chap that sent me the photo that he thought it had something to do with a rangefinder or a director (but of course he may have been wrong.) Would that make any sense?

The unclear very first word is difficult to translate.

Next I think:

CIRC. = circulatie, means: circulation,
    A.M.K .= Achtermachinekamer, means: Engineroom-Aft.
    13.78 M. vanaf Bovenk. Huid, means: 13.78 meter from top of the (ships) -hull.

Probably so far so good, but what does it means ?
    Vriendelijke groet, Hans.

"Om de kracht van het anker te voelen moet men de storm trotseren". (Pas als je iets ernstig meemaakt, weet je op wie je kan vertrouwen).

Reactie

The unclear very first word is difficult to translate.
      I think the first word says "UITL.". short for uitlaat, or in English exhaust.
      Pim van Wijngaarden

Reactie

Thanks gents!

Seemingly nothing to do with rangefinder / director then? But what it is to do with I have no idea either.

Reactie

Very good Pim,

So we have now : Uitlaat circulatie Achter-machinekamer 13.78 M vanaf bovenkant huid.
          Which means : Exhaust circulation Engineroom-Aft, 13.78 meter from top of the (ships)-hull.

This could mean, that it is the exhaust of the air-ventilationsystem, from the Engineroom-Aft, which is located 13.78 meter above the (ships)-hull.

Kind regards, Hans.

"Om de kracht van het anker te voelen moet men de storm trotseren". (Pas als je iets ernstig meemaakt, weet je op wie je kan vertrouwen).

Reactie

I would think this notice draws attention to an underwater pipe 13.78 m below the top of the ship's hull. Sea water is used to cool machines. Such an exhaust could be dangerous to divers. Must have been a rather large ship? Where does this image come from?
            "Try and leave this world a little better than you found it" [Baden Powell]
            "Verbeter de wereld, begin bij jezelf"... [algemeen]
            ..."maar stop daarna niet en help ook een ander op weg!" [Paul Joosten]
            https://duurzamehuizenroute.nl/wonin...s-1905-veendam

Reactie

Zou ook inderdaad heel goed kunnen Paul.

We weten te weinig om e.e.a "kort te sluiten", en het is ook moeilijk te achterhalen, wat de juiste toedracht is om genoemde tekst te plaatsen.

Groet, Hans.

Reactie

Hi Hans,

Let's try to keep this thread in English for KevinD's sake
                Pim van Wijngaarden

Reactie

Could also very well Paul,

We know too little to understand and to figure out, for what reason the attached text was/is used for. (so translation is the only thing I can do)

Kind regards, Hans.

Reactie

Paul Joosten schreef Bekijk Berichten
                    I would think this notice draws attention to an underwater pipe 13.78 m below the top of the ship's hull. Sea water is used to cool machines. Such an exhaust could be dangerous to divers. Must have been a rather large ship? Where does this image come from?
                    The image was sent to me, asking if I knew anyone who could decipher it. I will try to find out its origin.

Thanks for all the input gents.

Reactie

dek indicatie plaatje

Dit is een dek identificatieplaatje om aan te geven dat er rechtonder dit plaatje een huiddoorvoering zit op de aangegeven afstand onder het plaatje. De plaatjes zijn aangebracht op het dek zodicht mogelijk bij de zijkant van het schip. Vroeger waren het inderdaad plaatjes met de bobbeltjes structuur. Deze was aangebracht op de jagers en kruisers.
                      Het plaatje geeft aan dat de uitlaat van de hoofdcirculatie pomp van de hoofdcondensor van de achter machinekamer zich op 13.78 meter onder het plaatje bevindt.
                      Zie tekening.
                      Bob R.
                      Bijgevoegde Bestanden

Reactie

Does the use of the words "bovenkant huid" maybe indicate this sign is from a submarine? Something to do with the exhaust in use when at snorkeling depth?

Reactie

I think that this is a right conclusion Bob,

But as ex. marine-engineer (cargo-ships and ocean-going tugs), we always had the water-intake lower than the overboard.
                          And the water-intake was equipped with an high- and low intake filter and "coss-over" from portside to starboard, to all coolwater users.
                          Probably the same at Navy-ships ?

But your drawing is just schematic I suppose.

Anyway, thanks Bob for your contribution.

Reactie

Correct,
                            Engineering for dummies.
                            Just to give a broad outline.
                            Bob R.

Reactie

OK, now I get it: bovenkant huid is top end of the hull (side), where hull meets deck. Then measure down 13.78 meters. Sorry for my ignorant reasoning...

The question now is of course: from which ship is this sign?

Reactie

Working...
                              X