Question re the sinking of Hr. Ms. Java

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re the sinking of Hr. Ms. Java

I have read varying accounts regards the explosion/s that sank Java. What is the predominate view?

1) Was there just one massive explosion (i.e. the torp hit combined with aft magazine explosion) when the torp hit that tore off her stern, or 2) was there a second explosion (i.e. the magazine) shortly after the torp hit when the magazine exploded and tore off the stern?

If #2, approx how long after the torp hit was the second explosion?

Thanks in advance!

Hmmmm, no answer to previous. Surprising.

So, let me ask a different variant of the question.

How long after the torpedo hit did Java sink, or put another way, how long did Java remain afloat after being hit by the torpedo?

Thanks for any help.

Reactie

KevinD schreef Bekijk Berichten
      Hmmmm, no answer to previous. Surprising.

So, let me ask a different variant of the question.

How long after the torpedo hit did Java sink, or put another way, how long did Java remain afloat after being hit by the torpedo?

Thanks for any help.

I think there is not much time between the 2 explosion, s, the Java sank 20 minutes after the torpedo hit,After the war most of the crew members tell about 1 large explosion that immediately yanked off the stern.

Klaas Nauta

Reactie

Best KevinD,

I refer you to the documentary, battle of the Java sea it has been created by Niek koppen here is also an English version of.

Klaas Nauta

Reactie

Hi Kevin,

I've done some research on your question(s).
          I have several books (regretfully for you in Dutch) regarding the subject, so I
          will try to give you a translated account of the events (forgive me if the translation is
          not without faults)...

Hr.Ms. Java was hit between the aft engineroom and aft 15cm ammunition magazine by a
          "Long Lance" torpedo, fired by either the japanese cruiser Nachi (fired a salvo of 8 from a
          distance of 5000m) or Haguro (fired 4 torpedoes from 7000 meters), the impact from the
          torpedo was so tremendous that it tore away the complete aft part of the ship, the torpedo
          impact was on the most worse place possible , just between the aft end of the torpedobulkhead
          and the most vunerable part of the aft section, were the hull made a dramatic decrease in volume
          because the incline in the keel for the propellors and the decrease of one deck on the campaign.
          i.e. the weakest part aft.

In all the documentation I've been reading so far there is no mention of a secondary explosion, not
          from the 15cm magazine or anything else. There is however a report about a fierce fire erupting
          after the torpedohit, but this fire occured on the '40mm-luchtafweerdek' (40mm-AA-gundeck aft),
          and after the AA-ammo caught fire and the flames found a way up to the main deck through the
          Ammunition elevator shafts.

The actual sinking of the 'Java' would have taken place about 20 minutes after the torpedohit (first
          Going vertical after a 40 degree list and slide under the waves afterwarth).
          Some resources mention a time of 8 minutes for the aft part of the ship to go under. (Un-confirmed)

java torpedo hit.jpg

So far this explanation in a nuttshell.
          If you like some more detailed info, please send a PB and I'll dive a little deeper in the matter for you.

Greetings,
          Willem
          Groetjes uit Zeeland,

Willem Cool

Reactie

Thanks very much for the replies gents!!

Willem, if I may ask, what book was your description from?

Unfortunately almost all my books and other references on Java Sea actions are all still boxed (and poorly labeled at that) from a previous house move (as nowhere to put in new house) so am rather embarrassed to have to ask questions re books I have but can't put my hands on to reference when I need them!

So, for anyway who has the book, what does it say in Anten's Hr. Ms. Kruisers Java & Sumatra?

Reactie

Working...
            X