Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch Naval PT Boats Tarakan 1942 Borneo

Hi all.
    Does anyone know the names of the two Dutch PT Boats stationed at Tarakan Oil Refinery when the Japanese invaded in 1942?
    My uncle Adriaan van Sluijs commanded one of these at the time of the invasion, and after destroying the piers and pump houses there, took one of these boats all the way to Samarinda II up the Mahakam river! Right under the noses of searching Japanese!
    I would be very interested to see a photo of the type of PT boat that he made this journey on. And if there are records of this boat being captured at Samarinda by the Japansese. BTW, my uncle survived the war by living with Dayak headhunters at the upper reaches of the Mahakam river for almost three years!

Re: Dutch Naval PT Boats Tarakan 1942 Borneo

Hi,

Your uncle commanded the patrol boat P-1. He was a quarter master at the time. P-1 crossed over from Tarakan to the estuary of the Boelongan river. He then proceed "through unlit and unknown waters" to Samarinda, where he arrived on January 19. The P-1 then became part of the Samarinda River Defense Flotilla.

Source: Ph.M. Bosscher "De Koninklijke Marine in de Tweede Wereldoorlog", volume 2.

Another interesting book:

I. van Bel "Vlucht in het Oerwoud" (1981) about a naval enlisted man who served on Tarakan, escaped to Samarinda and lived among the Dajak natives during the Japanese occupation.
    http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl

Reactie

Hi Visje.
      Yes this book is the recollection of my Uncle , Adriaan van Sluijs as told to Ies van Bel. Was originally called "De ring van Takoe-ang".
      It is a true story as told by my uncle to the author. Somewhere in our family is a newspaper cutting of Adraan and Ies together telling about the release of the book. The P1 is the boat I am interested in. Adriaan took comand from a naval officer named Willems.
      In the book Adriaan is refered to as Van Dalen.

Reactie

Hi again.
        Would anybody have a pic of the type of boat the P1 was? I was thinking maybe one of the Canadian built PT boats, but my uncle stated that the P1 had two "Cat" motors purring in the back. A photo of the type of craft would be great....any thought where I might get one?? Cheers, Jim

Reactie

Hi Jim,

The P-1 was a patrol boat built at Surabaya, not a PT-boat (mototorpedoboat). Photosnof this type are rare, but will see what I have.

Regards,
          Jan

Reactie

Thanks Jan...Eagerly awaiting!! Regards Jim

Reactie

"Visje" wrote: Hi Jim,

The P-1 was a patrol boat built at Surabaya, not a PT-boat (mototorpedoboat). Photosnof this type are rare, but will see what I have.

Regards,
              Jan
              Is this of any help? The "P 3" was I believe one of the "P 1" class.

Picture collection NIMH.

Regards
              Rob H.
              --
              P3 1939a.JPG

Reactie

Thanks Rob! Nothing what I imagined it to look like! No wonder the P1 went down so quick when the Japanese armed boats attacked it! Not much armour there! Is this the type Jan? Regards, Jim

Reactie

Hi all,

I think P-3 was destroyed by own crew at Surabaya, never returned to RNN service. Don't know what ship that is. I've looked for a photo or drawing of a P-1 type, but I couldn't find any. There is a photo of the RP-133, reportedly the former P-4 after she was found after the war, but the ship in that photo looks an awful lot like a post-war built Higgins-boat.

Sorry,
                  -- Jan --

Reactie

Thanks anyway guys. I like the thought of my Uncle bringing that P1 all the way from Tarakan to Samarinda! In something like the P3! Amazing...
                    Cheers for now, regards, Jim Van Sluijs (Sluys)

Reactie

Seiner schreef Bekijk Berichten
                      Is this of any help? The "P 3" was I believe one of the "P 1" class.

Picture collection NIMH.

Regards
                      Rob H.
                      --
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]45455[/ATTACH]
                      Hi Guys...

None of the "P Class" patrol boats were MTBs. To the best of my knowledge, the photo is not one of the original "P Class" boats in the NEI since it appears to be all steel construction. The original boats were all built locally and were the largest ships built by NEI shipyards. They weighed in at about 40 tons each and had wooden hulls. There were several types within the class (numbered P-1 through P-40 IIRC) of varying tonnage and armament, but all were roughly about the same size. That said, the earliest boats (P1-P10?) were neither very popular nor seaworthy; I have seen them referred to as "floating beer bottles!"

HTH...
                      Tom

Reactie

Reference to Patrol Boat P1, don't if it is the same boat you are looking for.

Found this article regarding the battle of Tarakan and there is a list of ships/craft at Tarakan.
                        http://www.tarakankota.go.id/in/Tara...,_January_1942
                        See the heading: Zeemacht Nederlands-Indiƫ (Royal Dutch Navy), there is a mention of a patrol boat P1.
                        Also there is a mention here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/59451...+van+Sluijs%29
                        No photos so far, but; I'm searching.

Reactie

Reference to Patrol Boat P1, don't know if it is the same boat you are looking for.

Found this article regarding the battle of Tarakan and there is a list of ships/craft at Tarakan.
                          http://www.tarakankota.go.id/in/Tara...,_January_1942
                          See the heading: Zeemacht Nederlands-Indiƫ (Royal Dutch Navy), there is a mention of a patrol boat P1.
                          Also there is a mention here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/59451...+van+Sluijs%29
                          No photos so far, but; I'm searching.

Reactie

Dutch Naval PT Boats Tarakan 1942 Borneo

My uncle Adriaan van Sluijs commanded one of these at the time of the invasion
                            Bijgevoegde Bestanden

Reactie

Working...
                            X